On Saturday, April 10, 2010, we had a wonderful Window Restoration Workshop at Dave and Linda Hamlin’s house. About 30 people got a chance to learn the whys and hows of repairing old windows from window repair experts Alison Hardy of Topsfield (aka The Window Woman) and Linda Lesyna from the Boston Building Materials Coop (BBMC), a not-for-profit located in Roxbury.
There was significant interest in having a more intensive, hand-on workshop for those who would like to tackle repairs themselves. The HSHA and the BBMC will be hosting such a event in our neighborhood in the near future.
Below are some useful links:
- The Window Woman of New England
- The Boston Building Materials Coop
- Harvey Industries Storm Windows
- Energy Federation Incorporated
Also, here are some great handouts about windows:
- Window Woman’s Top Ten Reasons to Restore or Repair Wood Windows (pdf)
- Anatomy of a Double-Hung Window (jpg)
- Restoring Window Sashes (pdf)
- What Replacement Windows Can’t Replace: The Real Cost of Removing Historic Windows (pdf)
- The Care and Feeding of an Old House (pdf)
- The Evolution of Window Sashes (pdf)