Woodward, Elijah F.
Roads, &c. in the Town of Brookline.
(Brookline Public Library: [Brookline Room] 352.8 W9)
This census was taken in 1844 after the annexation of the area
between High Street and the Muddy River.
Street distance information outside the HSHA area has been omitted.
Otherwise, the document is reproduced in its entirety.
Tables, Showing Distances on the Several Streets in the Town of Brookline,
as surveyed in the year 1844, by E. F. Woodward.
|From Cypress Street||to Dr. Shurtleff’s||36 2/5|
|to Artemas Newell’s||26 3/5|
|to Thomas Kendall’s||3|
|to Hay Scales||78|
|to Elm Tree near Junction of Boylston and Walnut Streets||8 3/5|
|From Cypress Street||to H. W. Carr’s||44||14|
|to B. Guild’s Avenue||22||21|
|to Miss Ervin’s||20||11|
|to George Brewer’s||42||11|
|to Elm, at Junction, – End of Garden||40||4|
|From Walnut||to Boylston Streets||36||23|
Total Number of Dwelling Houses in Brookline, Inhabitable, 7th October, 1844,
when the Census was completed, 212.
|Streets, named in the foregoing Tables,
supported by the Town of Brookline, as follows, viz.-
|Boylston Street – length,||855||15|
|Cross Street, by T. W. Wellington’s,||46||20|
|or 15 Miles. 2 Qrs. 44 Rods. 17 Links.|
All other Streets named in this survey are private ways, not supported at public expense.
|By the first known Census of the inhabitants of Brookline,|
|supposed to be about||1790, the number was||518.|
|By the United States Census, in||1800, it was||605.|
Brookline was incorporated 13th November O. S. 1705.
Before this date it belonged to Boston, and was commonly called Muddy River,
from its eastern boundary separating it from Roxbury.
In May, 1790, the Town was surveyed by Mr. Jonathan Kingsbury, Jr., of Needham,
and found to contain 4416 acres.
On 10th November, 1714, the first Meeting-house of
the Congregational Church and Society was raised.
The second Meeting-house for said Church and Society was dedicated on 11th June, 1806.
The Baptist Meeting-house, in Brookline, was dedicated on 20th November, 1828.
The Harvard Church House of Worship was dedicated on 21st August, 1844.
The Act to annex part of Roxbury, usually called the Punch-Bowl Village, to Brookline,
was approved by his Excellency George N. Briggs, 24th February, 1844.
With this addition, by the Census taken by order of the Selectmen of Brookline,
which was completed on 7th October, 1844, the population amounted to 1682.
Of these the addition from the Punch-Bowl Village amounted to 83 males and 72 females — 155.
By the survey of Deacon Elijah F. Woodward, of Newton,
in 1844 the town was found to contain 4605 acres.